Wednesday 19 March 2008

Lindholme (Laurels) 16/03/08

Big, Big, BIG pressure was put on for this one, not only had I stupidly challenged a full time angler called Andy Stonner but this was the final round of the YMA winter series, I was up there near the top and there was a few others that were in with a shot, The main rival was Carlos chegers, I couldn't let the myself lose to him after all the jibberish I had talked about on the YMA banter forum surely?.... Or could I? A few PM's were sent on the forum wishing me good luck, little did I know I had bitten off more than I could chew.

Well the day started off with the normal stupid earliness that most match anglers are now accustomed with, 6am , Tackle in the car, off to the tackle shop to get some fresh bait. Bait in the car and off i set to the cafe which was this morning 20 miles past the venue! I'm a sucker for a breakfast that comes with chips as some of you know. I met Nige, Maf and Ade at the cafe, A bit more pressure was added onto me as I get some more stick, time to eat, Smashing breakfast down the old cake hole and all I want to do is sleep but nope off we trot to the lakes, At warp speed 99 we went down the lanes to Lindholme following maf shumacher. Arriving at Lindholme I'm pleased that I aint gonna have to wait in the breakfast cue as it looked rammed.

Chegers was sat there in his gimp suit, so paid on, It came to the draw, chegers shouts "draw me one patsie" so I did "46" Bollocks thats on a point, I'd drawn him a flyer, My turn peg 20, which i didnt have a clue about so a little walk around and found the peg i thought was 20, looked good, corner peg, wind blowing into it, Sharpy was next to me, this could be a decent match, decent draw for once!

So off i trots to fetch my tackle, plonked it down on the peg, Bait made, all plumbed up, One for 11 metre into the corner with a MAP 14 4 x 10, 0.10 straight through with a 20s 808, 10's elastic, Plumbed up to perfection, 1" off bottom for the troutsie's, Maggot was gonna be fed on this line, I was really hopeful on this line as it looked so ace! Rig 2 was 14.5 metre up the bank about 1 Metre off the rushes, same rig as the 1st one, Final Rig was used at 7 metre and 13 metre, staight out into the open water, Same depth at 7 and 13 so I was well happy! Drennan Roach 4 x 14 0'10 to a 0.09, size 20 808.

This is the first match for ages that I was wel confident with all the rigs, peg, It all looked bob on! I heard a bit of commotion behind me, It was Dazza he come for a chat! WRONG he came to tell me that Andy was saying I was on the wrong peg, "Bollocks sod off" I told him "Your having a laugh" he looked serious! I looked at the steak in the groung and it said 22, Oh shite, What the hell I'd set up on the wrong peg! 10 minutes to time, I'm sure Andy waited until 10 mins to time to tell me, he was scared of loosing I reckon!

Quick move 2 pegs down and I'm on the right peg! Quick plumb around and the depths were near enough the same, so a few quick adjustments and I was all set. Wind was now off my back which i was kinda happy about, kinda miffed about as I knew the fish would be facing into the wind! I was now next to Jeff Gott, another person who was in the race for the Winter series winner.

Kev, Stonners traveling partner came around for a chat he was well pissed off, he was well not happy with the peg he was on 11, worst peg on the pond he said, and he'd drawn it twice in a row! Whilst we were chatting time must of been called as I saw sharpy pull a fish out, What the Feck! Has time been called and we didnt hear it?? Looks that way, so Kev runs back around to his peg and I sit on my box and start fishing, Out to 13M open water line first, few micros and maggots cattied out, and I sit and wait, and wait, and wait, 30 mins has passed and I havent had a bite!

Time for the next line to be tried, the near reed margin at 11 metre, First drop in the float burries and I'm into the first fish of the day, a roach of about 1oz! back out and the same again, they don't put up much of a fight on 10 elastic, Next time out, the float goe under and i strike into a underwater submarine and the elastic comes out like a laserbeam, jesus, what the hell is this? then flipper the dolphin decides to do a few tricks out of the water, or could it be a trout? Yup it sure was, now I never knew trout had teeth until I unhooked it and its teeth ran along my fingernail! From then on I unhooked them all in the landing net, This line continued to produce all the way through the match, trout F1's a few small stockies, All to either red maggot or Sweetcorn, I kept trying the open water rig but I couldn't buy a bite dispite feeding it continusly, They backed off quite a lot during the match and I ended up fishing at 16metres for the last 2 hours, My back is still hurtin(Tuesday).

The final time was shouted and I didn't really see many others catching, I saw Ade catching well and Jeff had a lot late on, So I thought I had done well! Walking round Maf had admitted to 10lb, In my own head I thought i had 25 - 30lb, but admitted to 20lb, How has chegers done? and Andy? Well after walking round to have a few people it turns out Carlos has fished a tidy match and has done well. First to weigh in was Maf, his 10lb turned out to be 27lb dead!! Ade was next, 23lb odd, Crikey, Going around the lake it looked like there was a few other good weights, Funkmaster had 27lb 2oz, NJC had lost to maf be 4oz and had 26lb 12oz!Steve had a busy day be the looks of things and had loads of small stockies for 20lb dead, Chegers had 25lb 8oz, Oh dear this aint looking good for me, Andy Stonner put 35lb 8oz on the scales and I realised that I had been beaten by everyone i'd challenged, "ooops", Round to my peg and I put 20lb 4oz on the scales, Jeff Gott had 18lb 12oz, It was gonna be tight at the top of the table, It was clear that chegers had won the YMA winter league. Good job carlos, shame your crap in summer like me!

The points table finished with Carlos at the top, with me and Jeff Gott joint second and Ade in 3rd,
The weights table finished with me at the top! Steve in second place and Chegers in 3rd place.

Off to the pub for a quick drink and a chat, Monies were handed out and I had won my section! Result, Much abuse came from the lads, Andy bought the beers, I ened up not leaving the pub until 7pm as I got some sound advice about entering the open scene which I plan to do this summer.

Overall a shit result but the banter leading up to is was second to none and the match was a good 'un, Cheers lads, Heres to the Summer series, And Andy 1-0 pal!!!

Tight Lines
Matt

No comments: